Friday, April 18, 2008

Thankful and Willing to Listen

This morning during my quiet time, one of the passages I was reading was Ecclesiates 5. Two thoughts...

First, v.18 (Everyone also to whom God has given wealth and possessions and power to enjoy them, and to accept his lot and rejoice in his toil—this is the gift of God.) I know that I can think of my work and my possessions as gifts of God, but I do not often consider that the "power to enjoy them" is also a gift of God. This is a healthy reminder to rejoice and thank God for not only what he has given me but also the joy and contentment I have in his those thing. Also, the fact that I can enjoy what he has given me in ways that honor and glorify him instead of valuing the gifts over the Giver, is a reason to praise God. Though contentment can be a struggle, I should be thankful for this gift and pray earnestly for it. What a relief is it that contentment and joy in our circumstances is not something we have to muster up in and of ourselves! It's another reminder, like Wolfgang's message last week, to be thankful in all things.

Second, v.1-2 (Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. To draw near to listen is better than to offer the sacrifice of fools, for they do not know that they are doing evil. Be not rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be hasty to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven and you are on earth. Therefore let your words be few.) I'll be the first to admit that there are parts of this passage I don't quite get (and the next verse, v.3, is confusing). However, I am challenged about how I approach church and other times of teaching. It is very easy for Sundays to become a routine and normal thing, a time of great joy of course, but routine in some ways if I am not careful. I want to be mindful of preparing myself to receive teaching and not just showing up. I want to be humble and teachable before the preached word. I don't want to be so caught up in my note taking that I miss points but I don't want to fail to review the message later on and to apply it to my life. I want the gospel to always appear amazing and to effect my heart, no matter how many times I hear it. I don't want my pride, preferences and knowledge to cause me to nitpick preaching while neglecting to apply the truth of God to my soul. I want to have an open heart that is ready to "draw near to listen" to what God may teach me, even if it isn't what I expected or is tough for me to hear.

These things are temptations and struggles that can appear from time to time. So, with a singles meeting (THRIVE) tonight, great preaching at church and PCRT and New Attitude coming down the road, I pray that God would make me one who values his word more and one who is eager not just to speak or argue, but to listen to and seek to understand and apply what he is saying.

No comments: