Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I Love My Church

On Sunday in lieu of a message, the pastors spent time discussing the upcoming transition to a new senior pastor at our church. I'm so very appreciative of the care they often take to explain everything and labor to inform the rest of the church how and why certain decisions are being made. It reveals a leadership that is truly concerned with the care of the people in the church and not just their own authority. I'm grateful for pastors whose primary aim is the preaching of the gospel and who have the humility to put God's work and God's people before their own advancement. When asked afterwards what I thought about the whole thing, I believe my words were, "I love this church".

Over the past couple of weeks, God has really put an increased joy in my heart on Sunday mornings, particularly as I look around during worship. I'm so encouraged as I see so many friends around me and I rejoice at the grace of God in their lives. I truly don't deserve to be in a church with so many awesome people and God has definitely used this to help me recognize how much a gift the local church is. There is no telling where I could end up in the future, but for now I am so delighted to be able to join together in the worship and the work of the gospel with these brothers and sisters in Christ. When I am sitting there on a Sunday morning, it truly feels like home.

Obviously things will never be perfect on this earth, but the church provides a unique context where we can be cared for and gain a picture of what it means to be part of the family of God. The church is also a place where we can be taught and hear the gospel preached every week. It's not easy sometimes and there is a lot of work to be done, but God provides grace for these opportunities to serve and often places us with brothers and sisters we are able to join with in this joyful labor.

I love my church. How about you?

No comments: