Monday, January 12, 2009

It Feels Nice to Finish...

It has been a little while since I finished a book. For the past couple months I have not spent much time reading at all. Recently I've started to find time each night to read a chapter or two and finally finished "Living for God's Glory" by Joel Beeke. It took me a while for sure, but it feels great to finish a book again. I'm feeling encouraged to continue on.

The book was very good. It's basically an introduction to Calvinism, but it goes past the normal discussion of the five points. There are multiple chapters of discussion on Calvinist, Reformed and Puritan views on family, marriage, politics and ethics, centered around historical accounts of how these viewpoints developed. It was a nice, engaging read and I was glad to finally be able to read one of Joel Beeke's books after hearing him speak at PCRT and seeing his work in the "Meet the Puritans" resource.

Next up I intend to read through "Desiring God" by Piper. I've tried to read it multiple times but have gotten distracted every time. Maybe taking some notes and putting together a couple blog posts will help me to keep focused. Hopefully I can finish sometime in February before I try to kick off a reading of "The Christian in Complete Armor" with a couple friends.

I started "How to Read a Book" by Mortimer Adler again as well, but I've decided to table it until a little later in the spring. Instead I'm going to be reading "The Back of the Napkin" by Dan Roam to add a little variety to my reading. It seems like its going to be a fun read about using pictures to communicate ideas.

No comments: