Wednesday, June 25, 2008

It's Not My Fault

A very convicting guest post over at the Desiring God blog today. It's dealing with our tendency to blame-shift when we are confronted with our sin. The author then runs down a list of 12 examples of sin where we tend to try and place the blame outside ourselves. Here's an example:

1) Anger
I wouldn’t lose my temper if my co-workers were easier to get along with, or if my kids behaved better, or if my spouse were more considerate.
I could identify with pretty much everything he had on the list. While circumstances do exert pressure, difficulty and temptation in our lives, ultimately we are responsible for our sin. Instead of blame-shifting, we need to accept responsiblity for our sin, run to the cross, repent and seek to fight that sin. If we never actually acknowledge that we have sinned, no growth will ever occur in our lives.

No comments: